INTRODUCING THE SMALL SAKE JUNMAI

Junmai means ‘pure rice’ in Japanese. All the alcohol in the product is the result of a natural fermentation, meaning that no distilled alcohol is added. With only water, rice and koji mold as ingredients, our Junmai can be considered one of the purest beverages in the world.

THE RICE

Small Sake’s Junmai is made from Hitomebore rice with a polishing ratio of 70%. This means that 30% of the rice grain is polished away and only the remaining 70% are used in the production of the sake. The reason why this is done is to remove the less desirable outer layers of the grain, leaving a higher proportion of the starchy center. The polishing of the rice sets premium sake apart from ‘table sake’.

BREWED IN NARA

Our Junmai sake is brewed in Nara Prefecture, in the Kansai area of Japan. Nara is famous for being Japan’s first capital city and is home to many important shinto shrines – amongst others the most important one dedicated to the god of sake. Nara prefecture is considered by many to be the birthplace of sake, and is regarded as a source of especially fine sake to this day.

TASTING NOTES

The Small Sake Junmai has a light pale silver colour, with a clear yet intense and complex nose. The deliciously crisp palate is well balanced with acidity, leaving space to softness and length. It’s dry, full and elegant, with an aftertaste showing subtle notes of rice complemented by hints of nuts. Tropical fruit notes, most notably those of banana, mango and passion fruit, characterize the wonderfully bright aroma.

HOW TO ENJOY SMALL SAKE

TOGETHER WITH BEER

Unlike grape wine, sake goes very well with beer. The low acidity in sake balances very well with the crisp freshness of a beer. The fact that the two go so well together may be due to the fact that both beverages are grain based. Choose sake as the ‘healthier’ alternative to a conventional beer chaser.

THE SMALL SAKE HIGHBALL

Highballs are a uniquely Japanese phenomenon, that surely will catch on globally. Using a Small Sake Highball glass, one can of sake is poured over ice and topped up with your choice of soda plus garnish. Ginger ale with a slice of Orange is one of our favorites. Because of it’s low acidity, a squeeze of lemon is always welcome. Sake clearly has to remain the star of the show – that is why we leave sake cocktails to others. Check out our blog for upcoming recipe posts.

ON ITS OWN

Small Sake Junmai is a premium sake, meaning it is best enjoyed chilled – have it in the traditional small sake cups, from a white wine glass, or in a tumbler on the rocks. Premium sake can be enjoyed hot or cold, unlike table sake which is usually drunk heated. If you like it ‘hotto’ – our Junmai is also great heated, then it is best served in the traditional cups.